Ike & Tina Turner - Proud Mary

 

Release date: 1971
"Proud Mary" is a rock ’n’ roll song written by John Fogerty and first recorded by his band Creedence Clearwater Revival. Ike & Tina Turner released "Proud Mary" In January 1971. Their rendition differs greatly from the structure of the original, but is also well-known and has become one of Tina Turner's most recognizable signature songs. 
The single peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on March 1971, two years after the original by Creedence Clearwater Revival was at its peak. It also reached No. 5 on the Billboard R&B chart, and earned the duo a Grammy Award for Best R&B Vocal Performance by a Group in 1972. Tina re-recorded the song for the biopic's 1993 soundtrack album of the same name. This track was released as a promotional single issued to radio stations and DJs.
Album: Workin’ Together



LYRICS


You know
Every now and then I think you might like to hear something from us nice, easy
There's just one thing
You see we never ever do nothing nice, easy
We always do it nice and rough

And we're gonna take the beginning of this song and do it easy
But then we're gonna do the finish rough
That's the way we do
Proud Mary

Left a good job down in the city
Workin' for the Man every night and day
But I never lost one minute of sleepin'
I was worryin' 'bout the way things might have been

Big wheel keep on turnin'
Proud Mary keep on burnin'
And we're rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river

Listen to the story

Left a good job down in the city
Workin' for the Man every night and day
And I never lost one minute of sleepin'
And I was worryin' 'bout the way that things might have been

You know that big wheel keep on turnin'
Proud Mary keep on burnin'
And we're rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river

Cleaned a lot of plates in Memphis
You know I pumped a lot of 'tane down in New Orleans
But I never saw the good side of the city
Until I hitched a ride on the river boat queen

You know that big wheel keep on turnin'
Proud Mary keep on burnin'
And we're rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river
We're rolling on the river

Say we're rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river,
We're rolling on the river

I left a good job in the city
Workin' for the Man every night and day
And I never lost a minute of sleepin'
Worryin' 'bout the way things might have been

Big wheel keep on turnin'
Proud Mary keep on burnin'
Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river
Say we're rollin', we're rollin', rollin' on the river

Alright

Oh, I cleaned a lot of plates in Memphis
And I pumped a lot of 'tane down in New Orleans
But I never saw the good side of a city
'Til I hitched a ride on the riverboat queen

Big wheel keep on turnin'
Proud Mary keep on burnin'
And we're rollin', so we're rollin', we're rollin' on the river
I tell you we're rollin', rollin', we're rollin' on the river

Alright

If you come down to the river
I bet you're gonna find some people who live
And you don't have to worry if you got no money
People on the river are happy to give

Big wheel keep on turnin'
Proud Mary keep on burnin'
And we're rollin', and we're rollin', and we're rollin' on the river
Tell me one more time
Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river

Alright

Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river
Alright then
We're rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river

So we're rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river
I tell you we're rollin', we're rollin', we're rollin' on the river

Alright

Post a Comment

0 Comments