Screaming Jay Hawkins - I Put a Spell on You

 

Release date: 1956
Hawkins wrote this as a ballad lamenting the loss of a girlfriend he wanted back. The original version was a lot slower and much more tame. A year later, Hawkins recorded the version that became famous for another label and transformed the song into a spooky tale about putting a curse on the girl so he can have her. The version with various grunts and groans was banned by most radio stations. An edited version became a hit with teenagers who liked the forbidden sound. Around Halloween, this becomes very popular every year.
"I Put a Spell on You" was selected as one of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. It was ranked No. 313 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. The selection became a classic cult song covered by a variety of artists and was his greatest commercial success, reportedly surpassing a million copies in sales.
Album: At Home with Screamin' Jay Hawkins



LYRICS


I put a spell on you because you're mine
You better stop the things that you do
I ain't lyin', no, I ain't lyin'
I just can't stand it babe
The way you're always runnin' 'round
I just can't stand it, the way you always put me down
I put a spell on you because you're mine

I put a spell on you because you're mine
You better stop the things that you do
I ain't lyin', no, I ain't lyin'
I just can't stand it babe
The way you're always runnin' 'round
I just can't stand it, the way you always put me down
I put a spell on you because you're mine
I put a spell on you. I put a spell on you
I put a spell on you. I put a spell on you

Post a Comment

0 Comments